Fix It Plan’s Scrumptious Tempeh Meatloaf
There are a lot of good recipes out there for meatless meatloaf, but we particularly like this one because it has more bite to it–a real meaty texture. Loaded with protein from tempeh and hemp seeds, deliciously seasoned with a tangy glaze, this is a favorite at our house. And even the meat eaters enjoy it!
Tempeh is such a versatile food and often so misunderstood it seems. While reaching for it in the refrigerator case at the store I’ve had people come up to me and ask what I do with it. And when I tell them how good it is they look at me with disbelief! I suppose it is rather unattractive in its sealed package, all pale and odd looking, naked and unadorned.
If you’re not familiar with tempeh, let me tell you about this wonderful food. Tempeh is simply soy beans that have been fermented, steamed and pressed into a cake. It has a nutty flavor and meaty texture, and absorbs whatever flavors you throw at it. And it does a great job of replacing meat in your diet, both texturally and nutritionally. A 3 ounce serving contains 16 grams of healthy plant-based protein as well as calcium and iron.
It’s a very easy food to work with, and Bill made this little video to give you an idea of its texture and how simple it is to crumble.
You can slice and marinate it for tempeh burgers, crumble and season it for tacos or pasta sauce, use in stir fry and a myriad of other recipes. Choose organic or non-GMO since most soy in the U.S. is genetically modified.
- 3 Tbsp tahini
- 1/4 cup vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup nut milk of your choice
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 packages tempeh, crumbled
- 1 cup green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 Tbsp dried thyme
- 1/2 Tbsp dried basil
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsps molasses
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2 Tbsps yellow mustard
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a large loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the tahini, Worcestershire sauce, ketchup and milk. Stir in the rolled oats. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large saute' pan. Add the chopped vegetables and crumbled tempeh and saute' for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the thyme, basil, oregano and pepper. Cook another 3 minutes and remove from heat.
- Pour the tempeh/vegetable mixture into a large bowl. Add oat mixture, nutritional yeast and hemp seeds and mash together until well combined.
- Press the mixture into the prepared loaf pan. Bake 30 minutes.
- While meatloaf is baking, whisk together the glaze in a small bowl.
- After 30 minutes, pour glaze over meatloaf and bake an additional 20 minutes.
Fix it! Plan Photos and Videos by: Bill Peterson Galleries